Unconditional Love Knows No Barriers
Parents must and do love their children. Unconditional love makes the child feel more secure. Parents should love their child irrespective of how they behave. Many tend to side-track a child because of his or her behavior. Such an attitude affects the child psychologically in many ways.
Parents should not take their child for granted. The child also has feelings. He or she needs constant reassurance from the parents. Parental love and affection mean a lot to him or her. Parents should not lay down any terms and conditions while expressing their love for the child. Unconditional love is what they need to practice. How does one display unconditional love?
Tips For Unconditional Love
- One should not stop loving a child because his or her behavior was not to their liking. While rebuking a child one should also show their overall affection for him or her. Punish the child, but make him or her feel wanted
- Give undivided attention to the child. Be there when the child really needs you. Try to understand his or her feelings and sentiments. Do not speak to the child while watching television or a newspaper. One should take time out and sort out matters with the child
- Also try to avoid only task-oriented communication. Some parents spend most of their time correcting the child. Have you completed your homework? Have you kept the toys in the cupboard? â€¦only task- oriented queries. Questions like would you like to hear a story? or would you like to recite a poem to me? would appeal to the child
- Spend quality time with the child. A common hobby would help. Work and play together. Such gestures bring the child closer to the parents
- Dr. Ross Campbell in â€˜How to Really Love Your Teenager‘ favors physical touch. Consistent and appropriate physical touch makes the teenager feel that you really care for him or her. Tossing the hair, slight back rub, patting on the shoulder in a friendly manner indicate care and concern for the child
- Appreciate what is unique in the child. The child may be different from the parents in many ways. This uniqueness should be taken note of. Do not side-track the child on account of it
- Parents like to boost up their ego based on their child’s activities. They like to boast about what their child did or achieve. It is better for parents to develop their ego based on their own achievements.
- Parents should encourage the child to believe in himself or herself. A child should not be a problem, but a challenge. He or she should be what he or she is. How parents perceive their children, even children see themselves that way
- Unconditional love ensures that a child does not suffer from anger, guilt, resentment, anxiety, depression and insecurity
- One must love the child irrespective of how he or she looks, or what his or her abilities and talents are
Love for a child should be limitless. Irrespective of what the child does, parents should continue to love them. They should not make the child feel unsure of their love and affection. Love for them should flow naturally.