Children belonging to the age group of 8 to 13 years are termed as tweens. Parents experience a lot of stress while parenting tweens as the children are undergoing a number of transitions such as frequent changes in their feelings, , mood swings , and sometimes they can also feel very stressed. .Being a parent, you must always try to be patient and to remain cool and calm.
Tips On Parenting Your Tweens:-
- Whenever you find your tween saying something, listen to them. Show them that you are interested in what they are saying as they can sense whether we are doing selective listening or we are really listening to them. So whenever they speak open your eyes and ears and listen to them properly.
- Maintain a good relationship with your tween, so that your tween can share with you anything at anytime. Allow your tween to open up whenever they talk with you and let them discuss things about sex and drugs. This is an age where they tend to ask these types of questions and perhaps they will seek answers from you. Communication is the best way to maintain a healthy relationship with your tween.
- Show empathy towards your tween. Make sure that your approach is caring and supportive and respect your tween’s feelings and emotions.
- Stay cool and calm and, always try to avoid arguments with your tweens.
- Always keep in mind that, children belonging to this age learn from example and role models. They try to imitate their parents. So try to be a role model for them.
- Set rules and guidelines for your tweens. Make sure that the rules are practically applicable and be flexible while you set rules and guidelines.
- Try not to give orders to your child, rather request your tweens to do something for you.
- Rather than stopping them from doing something, explain to them why they cannot do certain things. Discuss with them the consequences of the things that they are doing incorrectly.
- Try not to criticize your child. Remember that child is not bad but rather that the behavior is bad. Therefore, criticize the behavior and not the child.
- Let your tween know that you love them very much. Be generous with your affections, giving them lots of hugs and kisses..