Advice for Parents of Sick Children
It is common knowledge that parenting is a really hard job that requires many skills. Some things, like parenting a sick child, make the job that much more difficult.
Some ways for you to cope with this situation are mentioned in this article.
- The first thing that you could do is make a bed in the living room for your children. In this way, they will not feel isolated in their own room. Take their blankets and pillows and make the bed. If they have some books and toys, do not forget to take them as well. After they go to their new bed, disinfect the place. Let them wear some comfortable clothing.
- Remember to replace the items that they use when they are sick. For example, after your kid gets well, remove the old toothbrush and get a new one. Storing the common stuff that you use could be good ideas as well, such as the remote control.
- When they are sick, they need extra vitamins and healthy foods just like everyone else. If they do not like taking medicine, you can get some vitamin medicines which taste like orange or lemon juice. They should be okay drinking these kinds of medicines.
- During these times, sick people need a lot of liquids. In order to provide this for your child, you can make ice pops from some juice. Just make sure that the juice is 100% natural.
- You can also allow your children to nibble on some crackers. In this way they would be able to eat some solid foods as well. Also, ibuprofen could be a good choice as a medicine. They are easy to swallow and usable for all ages. They work quickly, and the effect of the medicine could last up to eight hours.
- You also need to keep checking your child’s temperature. Taking their temperature with a thermometer which is used to measure the temperature by placing it under the tongue is quite difficult. For this reason, we recommend you to use an automatic ear thermometer.
- Have them use their own towel if you do not want to be sick as well.
These are the basic tips for taking care of a sick child. When you follow this simple parenting advice for a sick child, you will be able to handle this problem effectively.