To-Do List for Parents
The work of a parent is long term, there are no breaks, but it is one of the most valuable and rewarding jobs that one can undertake. Most parents’ to-do lists are incredibly long any given day, but if one could boil down that list to the things the parent needs to do every day, it would include:
- If you are a parent, the first thing that you should do is to take care of your children in general, and meet their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. The physical is usually a no-brainer. They need clothes, food, shelter. Emotionally they will need much self-less love, and they will need moral and/or religious guidance. Day in and day out.
- Your child needs your respect for his/her life force. Your children are young discoverers who look at the world in wonderment and awe. Even though we have a lot to teach them. They also have a lot to teach us. Listen and learn from your child. When your child has you look at a pretty stone or an interesting beetle, it will also heighten your awareness of this wonderfully beautiful and mysterious world we live in!
- Be patient with your child.
- Tell your child that you love him/her at least once daily, and show that love.
- Praise your child for every success no matter how small. Help your child realize how very special he/she is.
- Although many times we look to our child’s future, make sure you live in the moment. Enjoy every minute with your child. Your child will grow up in a blink of an eye. We all have hopes and dreams, but live in the moment. Today is precious!
- Get out side with your child if the weather permits. Go to a park, take a walk, play in the yard, or do some gardening.
- Help cultivate friendships. Get your child together with playmates. Not only will you witness your child’s friendships grow, but you’ll find yourself also making friends with their parents. In this world, you can never have enough love or support in your life.