The Right Shoes for Your Baby
Many babies will start walking when they are about 1 year of age. Some start a little sooner and some a little later. This is the time when you need to go shopping for the first pair of shoes your baby will actually put some wear in. You want to purchase shoes that will be sturdy, comfortable, supportive, and fit just right. Too tight a fit can hurt your baby’s feet, and too loose may throw her off balance as she is trying to keep upright. Have your baby’s foot sized by a shoe store. They can help you find the right fit. Here are some things to consider about the shoes themselves:.
- Make sure that the shoes are non-skid, a rubber sole is best.
- The shoes should not be loose, but they should have a little room for growth. The toe of your baby should not be touching the top of the shoe.
- The material should let your child’s foot breathe. Those little feet get sweaty. You want to choose ones made out of canvas or leather.
- Velcro closures do make the shoes easier to put on, but keep in mind that they are also easier for your baby to take off and lose. Personally as a mother myself, I did not like the Velcro shoes on my toddler because of that. Your child will play with the Velcro strap. However when your child is a pro-walker in a year or two, you may want to try some Velcro shoes to encourage her to learn how to put her own shoes off and take them on again.
- You may want to consider sandals as well, but be sure to get a sandal which has a strap around the back of the foot and is more closed than open. Flip flops or clog like shoes are too difficult to walk in for a baby who is walking for the first time. Like regular shoes, make sure that they have rubber soles and give the foot proper support and are a proper fit.
- Your baby will outgrow those shoes before you know it and will need new shoes every 2-4 months. Pick a calendar date every month, maybe the day your child was born, and look how far your baby’s toes stretch out in the . If they are almost touching it, it is time to get some new shoes!!